People skills: If You Suck Offline You Will Suck Online Too
People skills have been constant since you and I were born. It’s as real as gravity and no matter what happens to Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google, your Internet marketing strategy or the Internet it will still be as relevant tomorrow as it was yesterday.
Radio, television and the phone are all communication devices for people. The Internet and computers are an addition to those communication devices. The one constant is people and people skills, they are no different online then they are offline.
Remember, there is always a person on the other side of whatever device you are using.
“How To Win Friends and Influence People” By Dale Carnegie was written over 70 years ago and is more relevant today then it has ever been.
Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
- Don’t criticize, condemn, or complain.
- Give honest and sincere appreciation.
- Arouse in the other person an eager want.
- Never show others that you are not interested in what they have to say.
Six Ways to Make People Like You
- Become genuinely interested in other people.
- Remember that a person’s name is, to that person, the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
- Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- Talk in terms of the other person’s interest.
- Make the other person feel important – and do it sincerely.
Wikipedia has an excellent synopsis of the book.
What are some other fantastic people skills books I should read?