Is Your Mobile Web Design Responsive?
Responsive mobile web design is a relatively new design technique that enables webpages to adapt their layout to the viewing environment. When using it, one single website can adjust to display effectively on all web-viewing platforms. No matter if your site is shown on a desktop, a tablet device, an iPhone or a Blackberry, the site’s look is reformatted and arranged for optimal display, while making it easy to read and browse without the tedious need to zoom in or slide the pages from one side to the other.
Following is an example of a website that uses responsive design:
Why use a Mobile Responsive Design
The benefits of having a Responsive Mobile Web Design are:
- You get a modern looking website without investing in expensive specific mobile app development
- You serve all web users with a single source. With only one source to maintain, you save time and money
- Good for SEO
- On June 6th Google officially declared Responsive Design to be the design approach that gives both desktop- and smartphone-optimized sites the best chance of performing well in Google’s search results
- Compiles all inbound links to one location ensuring a high ranking across all platforms and better visibility. In other words instead of counting the mobile link to the desktop site and loosing that ranking for mobile devices all your links now add up in one place.
- Your audience have a better browsing experience and probably a better impression of your company and/or service.
- With mobile browsing becoming the norm, one should design with its constraints in mind. Mobile responsive design helps us to do just that and still have a great desktop experience for the visitor.
Responsive design and WordPress
If you have a WordPress website or are planning to start one soon you may want to consider using a mobile web design theme.
In the last few months several responsive themes have been developed. This means that you have a large variety to choose from. Even the WordPress default theme, “TwentyEleven” is responsive. My favourite theme providers Elegant Themes, StudioPress and Woothemes all have beautiful new themes that are mobile responsive.
Before choosing a theme confirm that the content is displayed logically on a mobile device. You can use this free tool provided by StudioPress to check the behavior of any website on some of the more pervasive mobile devices, i.e. iPhone, iPad and small phones.
I hope you found this article useful. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions in regards to Responsive design and/or WordPress.